Our friends over at the First Forty Days are generously sharing a few of their favorite recipes with us at Fourth Trimester. We are in love with this warm, flavorful soup.
Creamy Kabocha & Red Lentil Soup
- 3 tbsp sesame oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 medium kabocha squash, peeled and cut into small cubes (substitute acorn or butternut squash)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 qts vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (substitute tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and shallot and lightly brown them, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Add the squash, cumin, and curry powder and lightly sauté with the onions, about 5 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the broth, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and cook for 40 minutes. Add the lentils and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the lentils and squash are tender.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then transfer it to a blender in batches and puree until creamy, if you like, or stop when some of the squash is still chunky. (Or use a hand blender to blend the soup in the pot.) Season with the soy sauce and nutritional yeast, if using, to taste.
- Drink throughout the day. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze in zip-tight plastic bags or glass mason jars (see page 130) for up to 3 months.
While you’re making this recipe, listen to the women who created it, Heng Ou and Amely Greeven, on episode 17 of the Fourth Trimester Podcast: