Thanks Kristen More for submitting this one!
Carrot Ginger Soup with Cranberry-Almond Salad
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 5 oz package baby spinach
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped,
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1 knob of fresh ginger
- 1/2 small bunch Italian parsley
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 lb sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Peel and mince shallot; add to salad bowl.
- Once the saucepan is hot, add 1 tbsp butter and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Combine the chopped carrots and potatoes, 1 tsp honey, and 1/2 tsp salt in the saucepan.
- Peel and mince or grate ginger; add to the saucepan. Reduce to medium heat, cover, and stew for 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, bring to a boil; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- In the salad bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp honey, 2 tsp sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 pinch black pepper.
- Using an immersion (hand) blender (or regular one), puree the soup until smooth.
- Measure out cranberries and almonds. (1/4 c each)
- Shave the leaves off parsley stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves.
- Add the spinach to the bowl with the dressing. Add 3/4 of the parsley, the cranberries, and almonds; toss to combine.
- To serve, pour soup into a bowl, garnish with the remaining parsley, and arrange salad on the side. Enjoy!