Lentil Soup with Fennel
Lentils are a fast way to add the high fiber of beans as well as a good source of protein and iron. Unlike other beans, they do not need soaking and cook quickly. If you soak them in advance they take on a nice crisp texture. This is a bright cheery soup that freezes well.From: You CAN Cook After the Baby Comes! Favorite, Quick and Easy Recipes for Postpartum Families
- 1 cup lentils
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped with leaves
- 4 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (garnish)
- Combine all ingredients except yogurt in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover loosely and simmer until fragrant and lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with yogurt.