Broccoli and Tomato Soup
A healthy, warm and tasty soup for a postpartum lunch or dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 spanish onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp oregano or marjarom
- 1 16 oz. can of plum tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head broccoli, woody stems discarded, broken into florets
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Ricotta cheese (garnish)
- Heat oil in a large (3 quart) soup pot over a low flame. Add onion and garlic and cook covered 10 to15 minutes until golden. Add the oregano, tomatoes and their juices and the stock, bring to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and parsley, reduce the heat to low and cook, partially covered until the broccoli is tender, about 25 minutes, uncovered. Stir in the Parmesan, garnish with ricotta cheese.
Variation: Add corn, freshly hulled or frozen Add a little pasta when you add the broccoli Before adding the broccoli, puree the soup for a different texture Decrease the stock by ½ cup and subsitute light cream just before serving. Suggestions: Add tofu or tofu strips in final heating. Add barley Add chipolete