Eggplant and Potato Curry
This dish has a long list of ingredients but is actually quite simple to make. Cut the vegetable up before beginning and place all the spices together on a small dish before beginning. The eggplant does not have to be peeled or salted.
- 2 eggplants (around 2 lbs total), cubed
- 3 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 bell peppers, cut into ½ inch squares
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 ½ cups water
- 4-5 firm tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- Melt the butter in the pot you will be using to cook the curry in, add the spices and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until aromatic. Add the vegetables and toss until they are covered with the spices. Add the water, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover and cook over a low flame for another 15 minutes, stirring gently and often. Then add the tomatoes. When the tomatoes are heated through, serve with rice.