Black Bean Soup
This is a warm, comforting soup packed full of protein and flavor.
- 1 small bunch red chard
- olive oil
- 2 sweet red peppers and one green or yellow pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots
- 3 big cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper powder or chili powder
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, sliced
- 28 oz cans chopped stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 cans organic black beans, drained (or 4 cups cooked dried black beans)
- dashes Tabasco sauce, worcheshire,and soy sauce
- salt and papper to taste
- Remove the spines from the chard, setting aside the leafy part to add later. Chop chard spines, peppers, carrots, onion and garlic and saute in olive oil with ginger and spices until the vegetables just begin to soften. And remaining ingredients except chard leaves. Simmer covered about 10 minutes. Add the chopped chard leaves and cook until the leaves are cooked they way you like them. Taste and adjust for flavor.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yoghurt or sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado slices, lime wedges and cornbread!