Mushroom Barley Soup
This soup is so good you might have to triple the recipe to have enough leftovers to freeze. It freezes well, though you may want to add a splash of soy and sherry.From: You CAN Cook After the Baby Comes! Favorite, Quick and Easy Recipes for Postpartum Families
- 1/2 cup barley
- 6.5 cups water, stock, or bone broth
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked cubed chicken (optional)
- Mix barley in 1½ cups of water, bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until tender (20-30 minutes for polished barley, 1 ½ hours for unpolished).
- Meanwhile, sauté onions and garlic in butter until translucent, add mushrooms and continue to sauté until the juices of the mushroom are released.
- When barley is ready, add the rest of the water (5 cups), soy sauce and sherry. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms to the barley and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken (optional) and heat thoroughly.