Corn with Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or chopped
- 6 large ears of corn, kernels scraped off
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-3 tsp dried basil, or 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- pinch sugar
- fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
- chopped red pepper (for garnish)
- Heat oil over a low flame in a 3-quart pot. Add onion and garlic and cook, covered, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium, add corn, stock, basil, sugar and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes.
- Transfer half the solids to a food processor or a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree. Return puree to soup, stir and seve immediately.
- Garnish each portion with fresh chopped basil leaves and red pepper.
Variation: Subsitute fresh cilantro for the basil and add 1 chopped red pepper when you add the corn. Freezes well.